Why should I study in Estonia?

How to study in Estonia?

Estonia – officially the Republic of Estonia is a country in northern Europe, bordered to the north by the Gulf of Finland, to the west by the Baltic Sea, to the south by Latvia and to the east by Lake Peipus and Russia. Estonia is an ‘e-society’ – meaning that Estonians operate with electronic ID-cards, e-government, - healthcare, -parking and even e-schooling. Overall, Estonia has 20 educational institutions offering higher education degrees. Estonian higher education diplomas are internationally accepted, and with over 100 degree programmes taught in English, you’re sure to find the best study programme for you.

National performance: Estonia

Percent of all Universities 100% 80% 60% 40% < below Average above > 40% 60% 80% 100% Teaching & Learning 44% 33% Research 12% 50% Knowledge Transfer 25% 44% International Orientation 27% 47% Regional Engagement 57% 29%

How much does it cost to study in Estonia?

Tuition fees at Estonian universities vary considerably depending on the level of studies and degree programme. With the exception of some degree programmes, tuition fees vary from 1,660 EUR to 7,500 EUR per year for Bachelor and Master programmes. Some of the more expensive specialties with higher fees are medicine, law, business administration and social sciences. Some higher education institutions may differentiate tuition fees for students from the European Union and from outside the European Union. In addition, some universities offer various Master and Bachelor programmes with no tuition fee at all (tuition fee waivers, tuition free programmes). Because tuition fees vary and change from institution to institution, we’d recommend contacting the universities directly for more information (contact information can be found on each respective university profile page).

Do I need a Student Visa for Estonia?

All students who are not Estonian citizens or EU citizens (including EEA countries and Switzerland) need a temporary residence permit for study. EU citizens should obtain a temporary right of residence in Estonia. Estonia does not issue a "study visa", all non-EU students should apply for a temporary residence permit for studying (TRP). When certain conditions are met, then it is possible to apply for C- (short term) or D-visa (long term) to travel to Estonia and apply for a residence permit after arrival.

Consumer Basket

Main course

8.00 €


4.00 € 

One-way ticket

2.00 €

Cinema ticket

8.00 €

Useful vocabulary









Stay informed about U-Multirank:

Financial Partners:

close Icon

Consent Preferences / Cookie Settings

This page allows you to opt out of optional cookies used by the U-Multirank website.

Once you have set your cookie preferences, we will follow the specific choices you made. Please remember that if you delete your cookies, or use a different browser or computer, you will need to set your cookie preferences again. 

Required Cookies

These cookies enable core site functionality. It is not possible to disable these cookies since our services do not work without them. They are emitted by the CMS and by the U-Multirank Data Collection-API and they hold information about your choices. They are used for functional purposes only and are not valid beyond this session.

Tracking Cookies

These cookies are used to track performance and to monitor functionality of the website. This information helps us to optimize our services. Embedded partners are Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, DoubleClick and HotJar.